Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lots of Updates -Getting My Ducks In A Row

Wow I sure have been away for a while from blogging!  I took a much longer break than I was planning on but now I'm ready to get back to writing. You will start to see more regular posts from me starting in the next few days. But before I start with fitness related posts, there have been a lot of exciting things that have been going on so let me fill you all in.

To start off I'm back to studying again. I'm already on the third chapter of my materials for the Lifestyle & Weight Management Consulting Certification. I took the sample test before starting and I already scored an 87% so I have a feeling I will pass the real thing pretty easily. I mapped out my To Do Lists for this just like I did for the Personal Trainer materials and I am shooting to take the test sometime in late September or early October. When I actually take the test will depend on how the summer/early fall goes.

I have a lot on my plate for the summer / early fall. The short list includes: my wedding/honeymoon, packing to move to the new residence hall that we are opening this fall, doing an internship (more details about this below), starting back to work in Aug, and moving just days before my staff training starts. This will be the most jam packed summer I have had in a long time. Normally summer is my down time since I am off work and I spend those two months just relaxing, biking miles and miles, and just enjoying the quiet campus. I have to say though all of things happening this summer are going to be positive so I'm looking forward to it all.

Ok, so let me fill you in on how figuring out the personal trainer career thing has been going for me. Well last week I went to two interviews for training positions. One with a fitness company that is local to the area and one with a nationwide gym. Through the process of interviewing I came to a couple of conclusions.
  • I do not have interest in working for one of the commercial, big name, gyms. Too much focus on sales and not enough on actually helping people.
  • Even though they both were interested in hiring me I felt like I need some actual practical experience training before I took a job.
  • This summer is so not the time for me to try to transition to a whole new career. Finaicailly this won't work right now cause it would involve moving from my "free" apartment which I just don't have the money to do with my wedding coming up. 
  • I have a pretty good talent for writing persuasive emails that resulted in me securing an internship.
So let me fill you in on the internship I got secured for the summer. I really liked the local fitness company. What they are offering their clients is exactly what I have interest in doing and after I got to meet with the owner I really thought that it would be a good fit. Well the owner had invited me to check out one of the boot camps he was running last week to give me a taste of what the job would include. It was held outdoors and was pretty good. The group he had was pretty motivated and were up for the challenges he put them through. After a couple of days he contacted me to set up a sit down interview at his office location. He knew that I had no practical experience other than designing my own workouts over the last few years. So what did I do? I declined the offer but I countered with an offer to do an unpaid internship. I sent this decline along with my explanation about feeling like I needed practical experience so that I could best serve clients and then proposed the idea of the internship. He was very impressed with my desire to get experience and said yes. I'm really excited because I'll get to shadow some of the trainers for about two months as well as assist with any other tasks around the office that will give me experience. So this June and July (other than the two weeks I'm on my honeymoon) I'll be spending a couple of hours a week interning. I can't even tell you how excited I am about this!

My thought is that after the internship I can look at either starting to train with the company part time for even more experience or look at starting my own training business. I have the ultimate goal of starting my own PT business and training people from their homes. After all, my own fitness journey wasn't done in a gym but from working out from home. I would love to teach others how to get fit without having to rely on driving to a gym to workout.

Well I think I have caught you all up. I look forward to getting back into blogging again. I have missed posting and the blogging community as well.  See you soon!

Quote of the Day: "Your goals are the road maps that guide you and show you what is possible for your life." ~ Les Brown

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the summer internship! It sounds like a perfect gig for you. Also, I had no idea you were engaged!! Congrats about that too :) I'm still waiting for Nick to pop the question....ugh. Where are you guys getting married? Who asked who?? I'm curious! I have a college friend who just started dating a girl. I'm still....well..shocked!! I think she is too, but I can tell she's extremely happy :)
    Oh, BTW, VERY cool that you are going back to school for your weight management and consulting certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the congrats.

    We are getting married up in Mass. since it is legal there. Won't be recognized in the state we live in but that really doesn't matter to us that much. Anyway, she asked me last summer at sunrise, on the beach, when we were on vacation. She even caught it on video so we have the memory forever.

    I'm sure Nick will ask you eventually, men seem a little more gun shy about the whole marriage thing than women are.

    Oh and far as being shocked about your friend from college that is pretty normal. I didn't start dating women until college so when all my HS friends found out they were pretty shocked too. I was always boy crazy in HS so they were really were taken back by it. But most of them saw how happy I was and were fine with it.

    ReplyDelete