Monday, April 19, 2010

Celebrating Accomplishments

Happy Monday everyone!

So I woke up to a nice, bright, sunny, but slightly chilly morning....ok that is a lie since I get up before the sun rises....but anyway, when I headed out on my morning walk it was a beautiful morning. Since the weather is getting nicer, I have been taking a lot more walks lately first thing in the morning, which has been providing me the perfect opportunity for self-reflection.  Topic on my mind this morning was what drives my motivation to stay on track with my healthy lifestyle. One theme became clear as I thought more about this as I logged the miles this morning.


Celebrating Accomplishments
Throughout this journey I actually have taken the time to celebrate my accomplishments. Not just the ones that relate directly to my health but those in all aspects of my life. This has helped with my motivation because, when I am struggling, normally all it takes is me doing a mental run down of some of the things I have accomplished lately to get to a better mental place.

I used to be a huge perfectionist and in my mind nothing really was good enough, that I always felt I could do better than what I was doing. I never really took the time to sit back and be proud of what I was doing.  Now, the process to change didn’t happen overnight. It took much practice and a lot of support from those who care about me. I started working on this by taking a few moments at the end of the day to reflect on all the things I had accomplished. I also worked on stopping the habit of always dismissing complements I got from others.

So in the spirit of celebrating accomplishments, I thought I would take a few moments to share some of my recent ones in hopes it helps you create your own list to help you with your own motivation.

My List of Accomplishments

  • On my stress test a few months ago I was told that I have the cardiovascular function of a fit 20 year old (that’s a little over ten years younger than I really am).
  • I passed my Personal Trainer Certification with an 87% and only needed a 62% to pass.
  • This is the first winter I was consistent with my exercise averaging 5 days a week.
  • I have successfully designed my own strength training program that I actually am consistent with and am seeing the results I want.
  • I used my SAD light everyday from Nov-late March which translated into the best management of my SAD symptoms ever!
  • I have been successfully maintaining my weight since early Oct.
  • I have started studying for my Lifestyle & Weight Management Consulting Certificate.
  • I secured a summer internship with a fitness company so I can get practical experience with personal training.
  • I got my contract at my current job extended 2 more years. (they have a 4 year limit but I convinced them keeping me for longer was in their best interest).
  • I created a new training program for my prospective student staff that was very effective and was very well received.

Ok so I could list a bunch more but I think you get the idea. So get out there and start creating your own accomplishment list!

Quote of the day: “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” ~ Oprah Winfrey

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a lot coming up in the future as well. You'll be adding to that list in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog comment! You are officially the 2nd person to comment on my new blog! :-D

    I am now following you too! Looks like you have a lot of awesome information and inspiration here. I especially love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog on one that I am following and you are an inspriration to me. I am trying to lose 100lbs myself. I am going to start following your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Those are some great accomplishments. I hope you're extremely proud of yourself. I'd love to be able to get out of the office and change careers by losing all this weight and becoming a personal trainer. You are living the dream. I'm glad I found you because I need someone to teach me how to do the maintenance thing once I get all the weight off. I'll be back to catch up and get inspired ;)

    ReplyDelete