Anyway as promised here is my first ever giveaway/product review here at Certifiably Fit. I’m pretty excited about this and hopefully you are too!
Let’s get some business things out of the way before I get to the review.
- The following product was provided without cost to me by csnstores.com.
- I was not compensated other than getting to keep the product after the review.
Ok business done! Now onto the review.
Product: Black & Decker Handy Steamer and Rice Cooker
Product features (Taken from the box):
- 4-qt basket with built in egg holders
- 5-cup rice bowl
- Drip tray with built-in Flavor Scenter screen
- Water reservoir
- External water-fill inlet
- Water window with water level indicator
- 75- minute timer with signal bell and auto shut off
- Power indicator light
I was able to choose the product I got to test and I picked this product because, as a site that is focused on healthy living, I felt a cooking appliance that allows the user to cook with a method that supports healthy eating would be a great idea. I already was steaming food prior to this but I was using other methods such as in pots on the stove top and using the microwave. I also picked this model based on the fact that the appliance is small (I have a tiny apartment), and that I have had good experiences with Black & Decker products in the past.
Steaming food by the way has all kinds of health benefits like: cooking without added oil or fats & helps preserve some of the vitamins that are lost during other methods of cooking. If you want to read more about steaming food check out the following sites:
To test out this steamer for the review, I steam cooked some chicken, some brown rice, and some cauliflower. I have to say the food turned out great. This was my first time having steamed skinless chicken breast and I seasoned it prior to putting it in and also used the scenter screen with garlic and it turned out with great flavor and very moist. It took less time to cook the chicken than it does with my normal method of searing on the stove then baking for the rest of the time. The rice also turned out good and better than my stovetop version. Only complaint on the rice was it took about 20 mins longer than the stovetop method. Finally I used it to steam a head of fresh cauliflower. My partner and I both thought it turned out perfect and we both swear it tasted better than the way I normally prepare it.
Below are my pros and cons to this steamer based on my experience.
- Small design
- Easy to clean (most parts can be cleaned in the dishwasher on the top-rack)
- Not complicated to put together or use
- Manual included suggested cook times for common foods that are steamed. For my tests they were pretty accurate.
- Timer and auto shut off – always a plus when multi-tasking in the kitchen
- Side handles to the top – You have to use pot holders so that you don’t chance getting burned when lifting off the top. A top handle probably would have been better to eliminate that risk. However, you use the top to set the basket on when done which you couldn’t do if the top handle was there unless it folded in flat.
Anyway, from the experience I would recommend this steamer to a small household that are looking to have a way to consistently steam foods. Also, is great for those who have smaller kitchens and are limited on storage space since it is fairly small.
So I was able to work a deal with the member of the promotions team at CSN Stores to be able to offer one of my readers this steamer. So here is what you need to do to enter to win.
- Leave a comment on this post by noon on Sunday, Dec 27, 2009
- To get additional entries (one additional entry per task)
- Announce this giveaway on your blog and email me with the link to your post.
- Start following me on twitter and announce this giveaway on your Twitter, use the tag #certifiablyfit
- You must be in the US or Canada (sorry my international friends)
The winner will be drawn at random and will be announced on Monday, Dec 28th in my weekly To Do post. If you have any questions feel free to email me at email@example.com. Good luck!
I would like to thank Jamie, the promotions team member at CSN Stores for working with me to provide this opportunity. I wanted to point out that once the order was placed the product was shipped super fast and came in without damage. Also, checking out their site, I noticed that their prices are pretty reasonable so I wouldn't be surprised if I do some ordering from them in the future, especially since they have such a wided range of products.