Thursday, October 1, 2009

" Know Your Numbers"

Well yesterday I got some fabulous news related to my health and I just wanted to share it here on my blog since I’m super excited about it.

I participated in “Know Your Numbers” which is something that the University I work for co-sponsors every year with our health insurance company. As you probably can guess this is where you can find out what your numbers are related to your health. Ok so below are my numbers:

Height: 63.5 inches (yeah I’m a shorty)
Weight: 154.6lbs
Body fat: 20.7% (see below for my reaction to this news)
Waist circumference: 34 inches
Blood Pressure: 114/72
Pulse: 58
Random Blood Sugar: 91
Total Cholesterol: 106
HDL Cholesterol: 35
Cholesterol Ratio: 3.0

So as you can see my numbers are pretty much awesome (except the HDL which is low), especially when you consider where I likely was 3 years ago. I can’t really give you the numbers from back then because honestly I don’t remember them but I know my numbers is all areas where horrible.

Like I said a moment ago my HDL is low, which is my good cholesterol but the woman explained because my total and ratio is excellent I don’t really need to worry about it. If I had to guess my low HDL is more because of genetics because both my parents have low HDL numbers, but their total and ratio are not the best. My nutrition is on target as well as my activity level for having good HDL numbers so genetics are the only thing that makes sense to me about this.

Ok so to the body fat number. Before the woman showed me what it was I totally cut her off and explained I knew I needed to work on that. The woman looked at me like I was crazy and told me I actually was in a very healthy range with it. I guess I assumed my body fat wasn’t the greatest because of two things. First is that my scale is set up to take body fat readings and has been reading 31% lately….boy is that thing inaccurate! And second because my BMI calculation shows me in the overweight category, I just assumed my body fat was higher. She said that those home scales can be so inaccurate with body fat measures so she wasn’t surprised when I told her about my scales reading. She also explained that BMI isn’t always a good measure especially for people like me who are very active and have a higher muscle percentage than the average person. Whoa…wait I’m very active? I guess I am considering I get 6 days of cardio in and 3 sessions of strength training in a week. Compared to the average person I get a lot more activity apparently. She continued to explain that I really don’t need to loose anymore weight because I was in a healthy place. Ok hold on wait a minute did a health professional just tell me I don’t need to loose weight? Did I hear that right? When she said that I wanted do cartwheels!

So, I guess that means I can start focusing on maintenance instead of being in weight loss mode. Wow that just kind of snuck up on me as I still thought I had some more weight to get off and figured that was going to take a couple of more months. Well I now understand why the scale has been so slow moving, because my body was kind of telling me that it was at a good place. I just wasn’t listening.

I have thought a lot about maintenance over the past 6 months or so because I knew I was approaching it but now I’m kind of nervous it’s arrived. I don’t have too much of a reason to be nervous though. I know that not much will need to change with my eating or workout habits for me to maintain. I guess its just not having the goal of loosing more weight is going to be a weird transition in my mind. Granted my new goal is maintaining but that has a lot different focus on it because you aren’t seeing changes occurring like weight loss brings. I think that I started to working on my Personal Training Certificate at the perfect time because now that can be where I will see changes occurring because as I progress through it I will see my skill set and knowledge expand. I’m a strong believer in everything happens for a reason and starting this just around the time I found out that maintenance had arrived seems like it fits into that.

Speaking of the Personal Training thing, just to update my studying is going well. I’m only on the introduction stuff which hasn’t been a ton of work. I really have been trying to review the ACE code of ethics so that I can retain that since there was a question about it on the sample test. Plus, it never hurts to actually know the ethics that are set forth for what you are doing. Next week I will actually get into the first chapter of the material, which I think will give me a better idea of the challenges I’m going to face while studying.

Well I think I should get going…dinner isn’t going to make itself!


Quote of the Day:

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” ~ Robert Francis Kennedy

8 comments:

  1. THANK YOU so much for that body fat information, because I have one of those stupid scales that always seemed to give me a ridiculously high number. I knew it wasn't right, but it's nice to hear that I wasn't just in denial.

    And congrats on your healthy results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information! Thanks for sharing, I could use the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great numbers and congratulations on that "ah ha" moment of realizing your weight is where it needs to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to hate cranberry sauce too!!! Now it's one of my favorite Thanksgiving/fall foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you! Hooray for your body percentage - I never thought those scales were very accurate anyway.

    I'll be back to visit - thanks for reading my blog all these months! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I was just wondering what they did to measure your BF%? I also use my home scale to determine it but I also think that it may be too high since I workout a lot and have muscle on my body.

    Good luck with your PT studies! I was Certified by AAAI/ISMA but let it lapse so that I could get NASM but just when I was about to get it, my car broke down and I had to use my funds to fix it. Thank God, I am able to work at my current Gym without it but I still want to get NASM so I could have more options...

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on officially being in maintenance. You have done wonderful. I'm so glad you are studying to be a personal trainer. We need more trainers who have been on both sides of the weight issue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. Thanks! No, I have not have my body fat % checked.
    Definitely something to think about....

    ReplyDelete