Wednesday, October 7, 2009

College Weight Gain Thoughts

So, I thought I would share a comment I left on a blog I read all the time, MizFitOnline.com, in response to her post today on college and weight gain. Gives you an idea of my thoughts on the topic and figured I would share it with my readers as well.

“Ah college….yup it’s where I put the majority of my weight on that lead to me to be morbidly obese in my 20’s. Once I was in that environment where I was making choices about my eating habits on my own I got a bit out of control. When in high school I had parents who where making a lot of those choices for me so when I got to college I really went crazy with having a bunch of unhealthy things my parents didn’t allow us to have growing up. Wasn’t until I educated myself on what makes a healthy meal plan that I figured out how to mange that. Also, recognizing activity is an important part of health also was helpful.


It is interesting now because I currently work and live on a college campus as my job. I observe my students and it is no wonder many of them put on the “freshman 15″ and then some. Many of them don’t know how to cook even though they have full kitchens in their apartments. Honestly, food service on campus isn’t too bad because there are healthy choices but many of our students are choosing the not so healthy choices. The lifestyle choices they make such as sleep patterns, stress management, physical fitness and use of alcohol are contributing to the issue for many of them.


Part of my position is to provide educational programming to help students learn about some of these things. I always have at least one program each semester that covers health/nutrition/ fitness. Also many of my students have watched me go from morbidly obese to fit which has had a positive impact on some of them. One of my student staff members has lost over 70lbs by joining me on the journey to better health.


My advice to parents of future college students would be to take the time to teach your children the fundamentals of a healthy lifestyle including nutrition. My advice to current students would be to take the time to learn the fundamentals to healthy living by seeking out the many campus resources that are likely available on your campus.”


So do you have any thoughts on the subject? I would love to hear them.

Quote of the day:
"Students must have initiative; they should not be mere imitators. They must learn to think and act for themselves--and be free." ~ Cesar Chavez

3 comments:

  1. Firt, thanks for your comment on my blog. I just wrote my post for tomorrow and it's already SUPER long or I would add some bits and pieces from your comment into it. Basically, I agree with you, there is no point in wasting your time trying to get someone to change if they aren't READY!

    Regarding the Freshman 15, I have to say that I am so thankful to have grown up in a home where I was not spoiled and treated like a child my whole life. I was taught the basics of cooking, and of course how to eat healthy. I also had plenty of freedom so I didn't go hog wild when I was in college. I agree with your suggestions for parents above. We need to start giving our children more responsilbity and trust them more before they go off to college, or they are doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of my healthy eating habits come from my family. My dad's health problems led our family to a healthy eating style that I have continued as I transitioned into life on my own. I think that parents are definitely the biggest modeling factor...their behaviors will affect how their children eat when they get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this post - I have to agree that if you are not allowed certain foods growing up, once you have the chance you go crazy! My husband and I both grew up in homes where Pop was a luxury and eating out was a rare occassion.

    Our kids have access to cosmic brownies, diet pop, chips - and you know what? They don't go overboard because they have access to those things. We both said if either one of us had a box of cosmic brownies, they would be gone in a couple days!

    I love to cook, so cooking is natural for Hannah. She's been known to chop up peppers onions and her "skinny" chicken to make chicken tostadas for lunch on a weekend. She remarked the other day that she didn't think her cousins would even know how to turn on the stove!

    ReplyDelete