Thursday, October 8, 2009

Birthday Gift Realization

So thanks to a birthday gift my partner G got me I had a realization about my fitness that I thought I would share.

I’m super sore and have been since yesterday thanks to the Wii Game Active that G got me. If you aren’t familiar with the game it basically is this super cool personal training game that lets you customize things a bit by inputting some statistics about yourself. Once you set up a profile it will track your progress in a journal that you can refer back to. It has several preloaded workouts that range from full body workouts to more area/skill specific ones. There also is a 30 day challenge where you set goals for yourself and follow the workout program that it sets up for you. The thing I like about it is that it combines strength training and cardio in the full body workouts in a way that you are circuit training throughout. For more information check out the website.

Now this is not my first experience with the game. Back in early June a friend of mine had bought the game and used me as her guinea pig to try it out for her. My friend still hasn’t tried it out yet but I would need a whole other post to go into my thoughts on that. I was super sore from it back then too and spent the first couple days of my vacation (which started the day after I tried it out) pretty sore from it. You would think that if I was sore from it I wouldn’t have talked to G about getting the game over the last few months, but to me it was a signal that it would be a good addition to my workout activities. See to me if something gets me sore it means it is going to make me stronger if I do it on a regular basis.

Getting this game right now is perfect for me for a couple different reasons. First off as the weather is starting to get colder I will be doing less bike riding outside. Granted, I have an indoor trainer that I can ride on inside but it just isn’t as fun for me. Second is that for the past couple months I have been trying to come up with a strategy to diversify my workouts because I know I need it. I love bike riding and it serves and my primary form of exercise. I do some strength training but only upper body stuff, which is something I added into my routine this past summer. Just looking at my legs you would think I did strength training because they are very muscular and toned but they are in serious need of training besides my bike riding. How do I know this? Well if you take a look at them you will see that the muscles that I use for riding are not in proportion with the rest of my leg muscles.

The realization of just how much I need to cross train my body has become very evident with this soreness I am currently experiencing. I used the game on Tuesday and woke up yesterday morning super sore. You should have seen me walking around work I looked like fragile elderly woman and my students were getting a kick out of it. This morning I still was a bit sore but a little less than yesterday. When I did the game for the second time this morning I felt pretty good during the workout. I am a bit sore now and expect I will be until my body gets used to this new activity.

I pride myself for being as fit as I am currently. I get at least 30 mins of bike riding in 6 days a week with some days as long as an hour. I also do upper body strength training every other day. I try to have one active rest day a week where I will go for a walk or do some other kind of light exercise so that my body can repair itself. But waking up the day after I completed the 30 min easy full body workout on this game with so much soreness I realize that I need to change things up to reach a more balanced fitness level.

So how am I going to change things up? Well here is my plan.

  • Ride my bike on the trainer 2-3 times a week so that I still keep up my body in shape for riding.
  • Use the game then 3 days a week to work on total body workouts. I will vary between the preloaded workouts to keep things interesting and challenging.
  • Every other day upper body strength training with my free weights and resistance bands
  • Keep one active rest day a week.
  • After a month I’ll assess where I am and make any changes if needed

I think that this plan will get me on my way to a more balanced fitness level, which is what I am looking to do. I also think that this will help keep me on track with my exercise throughout the winter, which is something I struggle with because of the cold weather keeping me from being out on my bike.

On the study front things are going well. I have all the reading done, the workbook stuff completed. I’m working on the master the manual stuff later tonight. I really have been enjoying the material and feel like my study strategies are working well because I feel like I am retaining the information pretty well. I will find out though tonight when I take the review quiz in the master the manual materials as well as when I do the online review.

Alright time to get back to the rest of my day. I’ll leave you with the following questions.

What do you do to stay balanced with your fitness level?
How do you change things up when you realize you need to?

Quote of the day:
"People's minds are changed through observation and not through argument." ~ Will Rogers

6 comments:

  1. OH I got that for my birthday too and I love it but I would suggest that you get some other resistance bands because mine snapped really quickly.

    I know what you mean about being sore...my bum was so sore after I used it!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sounds like a fantastic plan. I really want to get Nick a Wii for Christmas, and I would use it for exercise for sure! I would also try to get Nick to play as often as possible ;)

    I stay balanced just by living life how I preach. I try to remember all the advice that I provide to my clients and I remind myself of them constantly. In a healthy way, not obsessive, because I always stress splurging in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so smart to be strategic about what different kinds of training you're doing! I tend to be a bit more haphazard about it, and realize that I'm not getting enough variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the plan! I switch out dvds when I am in a rut - I'll do yoga one day, then cardio the next, then do a strength video - luckily my public library has a lot of videos to choose from, and I get to keep them for three weeks!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of that fitness game before.

    For me to change things up I will visit my library and take out different DVD's. They have a bunch to choose from.

    I also will swap DVD's with other people.

    It's getting colder here now, and I am lucky enough to have an eliptical at my house...it's just hard to actually get on the thing!

    Great job with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding your comment on my blog, I agree with you 100%! PEople always say to me, "why aren't you eating another browne" (just an example) and it's always as they go for another. It definitely has to do with the fact that they want to feel better about having another...ugh,good call.

    ReplyDelete