Monday, September 28, 2009

Week # 1: To Do List & Sample Test Results

Good morning!

Well as I talked about last time, I will be posting every Monday my To Do list of my study plan for my personal training materials. So let’s get to doing that.


Week #1: Sept 28th- Oct 4th : Introduction
• Take sample multiple choice test
• Manual – Pages xi-xv & 490-507 (Forward and Introduction)
• Workbook – Pages 3-5 & 153-157 (Introduction & Appendix A)
• Master the Manual – Page 125 (Appendix A)

Ok so I’m a little ahead of schedule because yesterday I took the sample test. I decided to do that since my partner G was at work so I was home alone and knew that would cut down on the distractions so I could focus. G is really being supportive about me taking this on and I’m really excited because she said she will help by reviewing the information with me. Maybe I’ll be able to convince her to let me practice some of the practical skills on her too…I think I’m going to have to try a bit to convince her on that one though.

Anyway, I’m happy to report that I scored a 67% on the sample test. So normally a 67% would make me disappointed but I am actually pretty happy with that considering I was expecting to completely bomb since I know a lot of the material I’m going to cover is stuff I have never had formal training in. When I went back and reviewed the questions I did miss I was happy to see that most of them were ones where I had debated between the correct answer and the one I had chosen. Considering you only need to get 500 out of 800 (63%) to pass the real test I was pretty excited to see that I scored a higher percentage than that before I even have studied. Now the real test has more questions and also includes 2 written scenarios compared to the sample test I took yesterday. I will do a sample written scenario during the review period of my studying but they suggest you don’t attempt it until you have completed studying.

Something I realized after taking the test is that I’m going to have to brush up on my basic math skills because there are some questions where I will need to use math. I’m not too worried about it because I was always very good in math. I got all of the questions that required math correct but those questions did slow me down a bit. It did not surprise me since I have been allowed to use a calculator since about 8th grade. So, I’m going to work on doing basic math without a calculator so I don’t waste time during the test. I had 72 minutes for the sample test, which I timed and I finished with about 10 mins left to review my answers. I would like more of a buffer for checking answers so I know reviewing my math skills are going to increase my available time. I think I’m going to start doing my “Brain Age” game on my DS since there are sections on the basic math to start and then see what other strategies I can use to increase my speed.

Alright, I need to get to my workout for the morning before I head into work. Have a great Monday everyone!

Quote of the Day:

“Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” ~ M. Scott Peck

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog - and wow, you have taken on quite a challenge with the personal trainer certification! Good luck - it will be fun to follow your progress with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a tricky test! Tests always make me soo nervous. It's great that you have a study plan, though.

    p.s. love your quote of the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete